I am the LORD, your Holy One, The Creator of Israel, your King.” Thus says the LORD, Who makes a way through the sea and a path through the mighty waters.(Isaiah 43:15-16)
From the passage above we see that God introduces Himself as the God who makes a way. He will make a way! This is a very special verse for me because God gave it to me during a very difficult time. So the whole focus of this study is to simply say what the Lord emphasized to me during that time – and that is that despite the difficulty of a situation and despite the options that look limited in the natural, God is a God who makes a way. He makes a way.
John 11:38-44 – Jesus Raises Lazarus from the Dead
Then Jesus, again groaning in Himself, came to the tomb. It was a cave, and a stone lay against it. Jesus said, “Take away the stone.” Martha, the sister of him who was dead, said to Him, “Lord, by this time there is a stench, for he has been dead four days.” Jesus said to her, “Did I not say to you that if you would believe you would see the glory of God?” Then they took away the stone from the place where the dead man was lying. And Jesus lifted up His eyes and said, “Father, I thank You that You have heard Me. And I know that You always hear Me, but because of the people who are standing by I said this, that they may believe that You sent Me.” Now when He had said these things, He cried with a loud voice, “Lazarus, come forth!” And he who had died came out bound hand and foot with grave clothes, and his face was wrapped with a cloth. Jesus said to them, “Loose him, and let him go.”
A paraphrased sermon I had some time back had below teachings on the many areas and circumstances the Lord may a way for a number of people;
God Made A Way Out of Danger
- He parted the Red Sea for Moses
- He (Jesus) calmed the sea – Mark 4:39
- He makes a way for us to have peace in the midst of the storms.
God Made A Way Out of Jail
- Joseph – Falsely accused. Gen. 39
- Paul & Silas Acts 16:25 -34 (You don’t have to write this whole scripture I will just say it.)
- Jesus can set you free from the bondage your prisons.
God Made A Way Out Of Death for:
- Shadrach, Meshach, & Abednego – Daniel Chapter 3
- Daniel and the lion’s den – Daniel Chapter 6
- Jesus made a way out of death for you and me.
- (Spiritual) Eph. 2:1 “And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;”
Jesus Made A Way Out of a Hopeless Situation
- Noah and his family. The Ark is a type of Salvation.
- 6:8 “But Noah found grace in the eyes of the LORD.”
- We were lost and undone. Doomed. And the Jesus is still making a way! Praise the Lord!!!!
If you are to comfort others you first must have been comforted yourself. (2 Cor 1:3-4). All of us will face the waters at some stage. The verse earlier on in Isaiah chapter 43:2 says ‘When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze.’ Note how it doesn’t say ‘if you pass through the waters…’ It’s not a matter of ‘if’ but ‘when’. It also doesn’t say ‘when others pass through the waters’ but ‘when you pass through…’ It will happen. But praise God that He also adds that ‘I will be with you!’ That makes all the difference.
No matter what chains, addictions, and habits you may have – Jesus can lose every bondage. Lazarus was not total free until he was loosen from the grave clothes.
- Jesus gives us freedom from the bondage of sin. That “sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves of sin.” (Romans 6:6)
- Jesus gives us freedom from fear – Luke 12:32 – “Do not fear, little flock, for it is your Father’s good pleasure to give you the kingdom.
- Jesus gives us freedom from the burden, requirements and curse of Old Testament Law.
- Jesus gives us freedom from the realm of Satan and the power of darkness that we might “enter into the kingdom of the Son of His love” (Colossians 1:13).
- Jesus will bring freedom to all creation from the curse that is upon the earth because of sin Romans 8:21 = because the creation itself also will be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God.
God is able to make a way when no way naturally exists. He makes a way through. Now, this has both positive and negative aspects. Let’s start with the negative and then end on a high. The negative aspect of this word ‘through’ is that we have to go ‘through’. ‘He makes a way around the difficulty’. But going ‘through’ is what the scripture and experience tells us is the truth. The positive aspect of this word ‘through’ is that we get through. The period of difficulty is not forever and there is no need to setup camp in the middle of the waters thinking that that is your lot in life for all time. No, Israel had to walk through the waters but they kept walking. They kept progressing forward. And when the mighty waters rise in your life, you too will get through because God is the one who gets you through. And let me say one last positive aspect: you will be changed for the better having gone through it!
The scripture in Isaiah goes on to say that he does this so that His people may ‘may proclaim my praise.’ You may be in the place right now where you can see the mighty waters rising around you. The trials and difficulties of this life may be coming against you in way that seems like there is no way out. If that is so then please remember that God is One who ‘makes a way’. May you too proclaim His praise as you trust Him once again.
Jesus Made A Way For You Too!